Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back in the Saddle

About a month ago I was contacted by an old bank rep friend and also my former boss who now works at Salt Lake Community College about a temporary full-time position they were offering from some stimulus money they had left over. I decided it was worth speaking to the Director there about so contacted her. The hours and pay were not what would work for me and so I turned down the position and let her know that I would really be more interested in part time work and if that need arose to please keep me in mind.
Well I was totally not expecting to hear from her again for at least a while when I checked my email last night and found one from her asking if I would be interested in working 20 hours a week M-Th and an afternoon shift that would work with minimal daycare costs. This is also a temporary position for now but they will try to make it a permanent position if it all works out. Mike and I talked it over a bit and we decided that I may as well give it a try. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work out and I have to tell them sorry and come back to doing what I have been doing the last year. So after a call to our former day care provider and some emails and phone calls back and forth with the director and my former boss Ruth, I am back in the Financial Aid saddle.
I start on the 24th of this month and will be working from 2-7pm on M-TH so that still gives me Fri's off and means that the boys will only be in day care about 2 hours a day. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have missed several things about the Financial Aid world and not missed several others. There will be plenty for me to re-learn and brush up on. I am also starting at the busiest time of their year as classes start on the 26th so it's going to be a crazy time for the first couple of weeks. I am grateful for the opportunity and for those that still think that much of me to throw my name into the ring repeatedly. It's not everyday you land a job without even applying or interviewing.

1 comment:

amelia said...

that sounds like a great little gig!
good luck!
tell ruth hello for me too :)