Monday, August 17, 2009

Total Bust

While Caleb was at school today, I decided that I was going to do something as a surprise for him. Partly because he was such an angel getting ready this morning and partly to get us out of the house. So I decided that a picnic at the park might be fun. I made him and I some PB&J's and packed some goodies for all of us in a brown sack and went to pick him up.
He was pretty excited when we pulled up to the park and ran right of of the car to play. Turns out that the fitness center's kids kamp program is in full swing and they were doing their lunch at the nearby pavilion. No biggie I thought but when I got the twins out of the car and got to the playground I noticed what a mess it was. Apparently those kids that choose to come play on the playground the last few days have not been supervised. There was trash everywhere (this is normally a very nice park) lunch sacks, empty bottles, chip wrappers etc. I was pretty disappointed and disgusted but was trying to not let it ruin our fun so I let Caleb still play and kept an extra watchful eye on the babies that they didn't pick any of it up. I sat and ate my sandwich for about 5 minutes. When some of the kids migrated over from the pavilion carrying their lunch sacks.
Well normally, no big deal right? The more the merrier. Well these kids were not playing nice. They were throwing things (like their oranges) at each other, calling each other names and swearing at one another. Not one adult in sight, but me. So I called Caleb over and let him know that we would be leaving. I felt it was best just to remove ourselves from the situation. He was pretty bummed out and Zaric was livid that this meant I took away the stick he was having so much fun with. But I promised that we would go to another park.
So we loaded back up in the car, a screaming Zaric and bummed out Caleb and headed toward the next park. We were about a block away when Caleb told me in his sad tone that he would just rather go home :(. So home we went and he ate his picnic lunch in front of the tv watching Cyberchase like any other normal day. So much for my big idea.

1 comment:

Michael Ouren said...

Sorry baby, perhaps another day will be better. Good thing it's not the last day of warm weather.