Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baby Faith- A Birth and Middle Name Story

Most of you have seen the other pics floating around FB so I won't blast this post with pics. After being my biggest baby and my hardest pregnancy, Faith was my easiest birth and we were able to sucessfully do the VBAC. For those of you (like myself) that like to hear all about babies coming into this world. I thought I'd share our short, sweet story.
I was expecting the hospital to call on Monday around 9 am. Of course I was nervous and excited so I was up and showered and ready to go by around 6. It worked out well because they ended up calling around 7:30 and telling me if I was ready to head on over. Mike had morning school duty to get Caleb off to and my Dad was close but not quite to the house yet so I drove myself over and got checked in and all settled into my room. They managed to burst 3 of my veins getting the IV in so that took a bit. The Dr came in and said he would be back after they got it started to break my water. They finally got it started and started the meds around 9 and Mike showed up just a few minutes later. The contractions started right away but they were bearable enough. They came in to check on me about 11 and told me that the anesthesiologist was going into a C section and wouldn't be available until after 1 pm and asked if I would like my epidural then. I figured I could handle it just 2 more hours and elected not to.....and that's when the trouble started. :)
Not 5 minutes after they left the room I shifted to one side and bam! My water broke on it's own. This was great but we also knew that would intensify the contractions. I immediately called the nurse in and told her I was changing my mind and would love the epidural NOW if she could catch him. He was in my room pretty quickly after that and did a hurry job. And after it took effect all was right with the world.
My sister showed up not too long after that. And we all hung out and talked and laughed and and even napped a little while we waited. It took what seemed like forever for me to move from the 3 I was when I got there to first a 4 after several hours and then finally a 7. I didn't feel much of anything all this time which was wonderful. Once I hit a 7 though.....Watch out!
They came in and started getting stuff prepared. My Doc had 4 women in labor at the same time and we were all getting complete about the same time too. He came in and checked me himself and said the lady next door was pushing and he thought she'd be done shortly and then he thought I would be 2nd in line after that. Well the nurse that was helping me got everything set up and checked me again about 20 minutes later and viola...I had went from a 7 to complete that quickly. She said the baby was pretty high up still and so we would do some pushes to get her to come down and be all ready for the Dr. She had me do one practice push and said things seemed to be working well. Then she told me to get down to business and we would do 4 big pushes. Well I was just finishing with push #1 when she said "Whoa" and told me to stop pushing. The baby's head was starting to crown.
She went to find the Dr. who was still next door pushing with that lady. It seemed like forever to get him in there and we were all thinking she was going to come out on her own before he got there. Turns out he had to abandon the poor lady next door who had been pushing for about an hour at that point and rush over to me. Once he was in place, I pushed 3 times and we had a baby girl. She came out crying without any help. They laid her on me and Mike cut the cord. I knew right away that she was for sure a Faith. She was born at 5:19 pm. We won the race and were his first birth out of the 4. Way to go baby girl!
She was 100 % perfect and weighed in at 6 lbs 10 oz and was 21 inches long. They cleaned her up while we held and adored her and while we were waiting the 40 minutes or so to be moved upstairs we had a chat about her middle name. We thought we had narrowed it down to 3 options. Mike was holding her at this time and our conversation went a little something like this :
Me : Ok I'm not feeling the Olivia-Nicole option. That name is bigger than she is.
Mike: Yeah me neither
Me: Ok so is she a Faith McKaylyn?
Mike: No
Me: Ok so she's a Faith Isabella?
Mike: No
Me: (insert confused look on my face): then what is she?
Mike: (with a little tear in his eye that he won't admit to): She's an Ellisyn

Ellisyn was a name we had tossed around a little bit. Mostly as our only other option that we could agree on as a possible other first name if we felt like Faith didn't fit. We weren't sure before we went in that we liked it as a middle name so it was never on the "list" as an option. After we talked about it some more and made sure we were both ok with it, I did the closest thing there is to making it "official" and posted it to Facebook. It just felt right. Not a second thought in the world. So Mike then officially wrote it on the birth certificate documents and here we are.

Welcome to our world Faith Ellisyn Ouren




1 comment:

jfm said...

Beautiful baby...beautiful name...congrats to all of you!!