Saturday, September 29, 2012

Halloween in the Air and at the House

It's starting to be my favorite time of the year again. Oh how I love fall and everything that goes with it, cooler temps,beautiful colors, football, my birthday and my favorite holidays. With Halloween coming up, we've had some funky stuff going on here at the new house. I think the spooks want to play.

One day last week, I came home in the afternoon. When I went to let the kids outside I saw a dead bird had somehow made itself onto our back porch. It was such an odd place for a bird to die. I have 3 theories, 1. It tried to fly into our glass back door and broke it's neck, 2. a neighborhood cat brought it to us as a prize or 3. it's a deranged housewarming gift from the neighborhood weirdo(whom we've yet to meet)? I called Mike and let him know he was on cleanup duty when he got home and the kids weren't allowed to play out back until it was gone.

We now live across the street from a gas station. Not the greatest view, but it is rather convenient, I must say. Well on Wed night I was craving Sprite (I know, not Pepsi?) and Mike said he'd go get me one. I sent him out the front door and all of the sudden heard a loud "Whoa." I went to see what was the matter and saw his looking at this:
 
A giant tarantula just hanging out in the driveway.Seriously, he was about the size of Mike's palm. Huge.  He was missing a leg and Mike said he was moving pretty slow so most likely a pretty old one. Of course we had to let the boys come out and see and they thought it was the coolest thing, ever! Well being the humanitarians we are, we scooped it up in a zip lock container and Mike took it across the street to the field and let it go. I mean who wants that amount of guts on their driveway?
It's been given instructions to stay on it's side of the street and we'll all get along fine.
 
So I've been teasing Caleb about being Frankenstein with the staples in his head. It was time to go get them out on Thursday and with no prompting from me or statements of the sort at all the Dr. immediately told him they should have been in his forehead like Frankenstein and after removing them, grabbed a marker and did this:

 
I had to laugh since I'd been telling him that for a week. He was a good sport about it, but did ask us to take it off before we left the office.
 
Well later that night Mike took the doggie out for a late night potty break and reported that a pure black cat ran right through the yard. All he could see were the eyes mostly. Spooky.
 
So I guess it really was time to kick off the Halloween activities by taking them to the movie yesterday. The sign in the corner of our yard names this house "Sheffied Manor"........Apparently, it should have been "Haunted Manor". But seriously if this stuff doesn't stop in November, I'm calling a Priest!

No comments: