Monday, October 01, 2012

Night Stand to Lego Table

As most of you know, Caleb is a gigantic Lego fan. All he wants is Lego's all the time and will spend hours building and playing with them. Well, when it came time to move and because new bedroom furniture was coming with the house, we asked him to sell his old bedroom furniture. He was pretty sad about that because he really, really liked it furniture. He was particularly found of the drawers under the bed that housed his Lego's. I offered him cash, I offered him other prizes and the boy wouldn't budge. But once I realized it was all about him having anxiety about where he would put his precious Lego's, I found his sweet spot.....a Lego table. Once I promised him a Lego table sometime after we moved and before his birthday, he was on board with the plan. We sold his furniture to a friend's little boy who also really, really liked it and moved.
 
Now that we are getting more settled in, we decided it was time to make good on that promise. I searched all over online and couldn't find any that I liked to just order. They were all big and bulky or had very little storage room or just looked flimsy. So of course, I turned to Pinterest where I saw an old nightstand someone had made into one and it seemed so simple. So we were in search of a new night stand/end table. I again turned to the internet and looked at some places to buy a new one to put together like Target or Ikea. But was coming up short, so while we were out and about running errands last Saturday, I decided to stop by the DI and see if they had a used one that we could re-finish. And boy did they. It was the right size, the right price, super sturdy and even the right color of wood to match his new dresser and desk. hardly a scratch on it. So we brought it home and cleaned it up. I then ordered some building plates.
 
The plates arrived this Saturday and Mike went to work cutting the little ones to size and sticking them to the top with some liquid nails. And since the leather straps were looking worn, I shined them up with some black shoe polish..... and viola! Easiest re-purpose ever! No stripping, sanding or painting. It was like that find was meant to be.  So here's the pic of it right after we got the plates glued down. 
 
 
 And let the bulding begin!
 A few hours later.
 I'm particularly fond of the swimming pool with people swimming in it and a diving board to boot.
I'm pretty sure we have the happiest 8 year old boy around these parts this week. He's already talking about many more building adventures to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it.I might have to copy your brilliance and make one for mine and Hailee's art room. She has been loving Lego's lately.