Monday, August 05, 2013

Corporate Board Retreat- Day 1

For the first time in the last 13 years he's worked there, Mike is part of the "leadership/management" teams of his company. With that came an invitation to their annual Corporate Board Retreat that was being held in Park City. We arranged for him to go and I was going to just head camping with my family while he was away. Then a couple weeks before, we were notified that spouses were being asked to attend some of the meals and some social activities during the 3 days they were gone. Yikes! I have to admit, I was pretty nervous about the whole idea. I've only met a few of these people before and to be spending so much time with "strangers" was a bit unnerving. Besides the added anxiety of "what am I going to wear?" As we had never been invited, I had no idea what to expect/wear/do in the in-between times. Not to mention now having to make arrangements for the kids to head camping without me. Luckily Papa was up for the job.
On Wednesday Papa just happened to be up here for work, so it worked out perfectly to have him meet us at the house after work and me running Faith to the Dr. to get her stitch out. He was nice enough to let Caleb go to the first half of his football practice. Then they headed out for Price. Mike and I took advantage and took ourselves out to eat at the Olive Garden and then cam back home to get ourselves packed and ready for the retreat.
Thursday morning came and we ran a few small errands and then headed to Park City in time for the kickoff luncheon. We got there and met a few people that had just arrived from Reno and Vegas and then it was time for Mike to head to meetings. We took this silly pic in the elevator while waiting. The hotel was sure ready for his company to arrive, they even put up welcomes for HealthInsight in the elevators. Too funny.
He went to the meetings and I got our bags up to our room for us then debated for a few minutes if I was going to go on the group activity or go on my own over to the outlets. I really decided at the last minute just to stick with the group and went on a guided historical tour of Park City's main street. It turned out fun and really interesting. I'm sure I won't remember most of it, but it was a better time than I thought it would be and I was able to visit and meet a lot more of the spouses. At the end of the tour, they gave us 3 options, head back to the hotel, go wonder main street on our own or go on the tram ride overlooking the city. I opted to go back to the room and take a little break. A few other women did as well. It worked out great because I was able to relax a little on my own and the temperature was perfect just to hang out on our private deck. While out there, a band started rehearsing on the square for that night's show. So I got to listen to music and enjoy a mountain breeze while I relaxed. It was perfect.
After his meetings for the day were done, we had a nice catered dinner all together and got to meet a few more people that were seated at our table, who turned out to be rather entertaining. Then we decided we were going to head back to the room and take advantage of the private deck again with the private hot tub that also occupied the deck. So after a quick run to the store for some swim suits (we didn't pack any) we enjoyed some time sitting in a hot tub while the air was perfectly crisp mountain air. What a treat!
 

No comments: