Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

Mike and I sometimes have the hardest time making decisions. Our normal babysitter threw us for a loop a couple weeks ago and told us she didn't want to care for the boys over the summer months. Which meant it was major decision time again for us. We have been weighing the options: try to find another sitter who will charge the same for 2 hours a day and is nearby (not likely), changing work schedules will work for a while but not forever, me quitting which means less "play" money and less money for our upcoming vacations. We've gone back and forth with each other and even the babysitter on changing around my schedule to meet her schedule and to work it out.
To add to it, Mike has been extremely busy at work lately and that has required him to stay later a lot of days which means he's been late picking them up or I've been late to work etc. So we started thinking ahead to what will happen when the summer months have passed. Sure I can change my schedule and endure it through then, but at the end of July Caleb starts first grade and will be in school all day, which means one of us needs to be home at 3:20 everyday to pick him up. There is no room for "running late" for this since we have no family or friends nearby to ask to pick him up for us. And that's not do-able for Mike on an everyday basis.
After much discussion and going back and forth we decided that we really needed to make a decision and stick to it. So we are splitting the difference of 2 options. I will change my schedule for the next 2 months to be 3:30-8 and have Mike meet me at the college to pick up the kids everyday. Then I will be quitting at the end of June. This option will also split the difference for the 4 months I had left on my one year temp position with SLCC. I will work 2 of it and not work 2 of it. I have offered to help at SLCC here and there when needed and I hope they will take me up on that.
I turned in my official letter this morning, so the cat isn't out of the bag quite yet for the rest of the office to be notified. We'll see how that goes when my supervisor returns later this week. 79 days until I am again a full-time SAHM. I am happy and sad about it all at the same time. But I think this is the right decision for everyone. I'll let you know if anything changes.

No comments: