Friday, April 16, 2010

Earthquake!

We had a tiny bit of excitement last night at work. We were all sitting there doing our thing when the building felt like it was shaking then I was feeling like I was on a boat and kinda rocking back and forth for a few seconds. I've been pretty tired this week and a little dizzy here and there so I thought it was just me having a spell. Until the others spoke up and one of the ladies said "I think that was an earthquake." What? Earthquake? And then as we all talked about it and we realized all 5 of us there at the time had felt the same thing, it kinda sunk in. I immediately texted Mike and asked my friend Wes to see if they had felt anything, both of whom replied with a "no" and thought that maybe I was just a little crazy. That was until Wes started checking some message boards he visits and sure enough other people through the valley and a couple other counties started posting about feeling something too. After a little research we found it on the U of U website. It was a 4.9 and it was centered about 77 miles NE of SLC. It traveled quite a ways to give us a little shake. So far there has been no reports of damages or injuries but it was a nice reminder that we tend to forget we are living on a fault line here in Utah and need to be more prepared/alert for when "The Big One" hits.

Here's a link to the basics of this quake if you are interested.

No comments: