Monday, October 12, 2009

Branding


I am generally not one to complain when it comes to toy stereo-typing and branding a certain toy either for a boy or a girl and for the most part my boys don't seem to mind either. However, early this morning Caleb crawled into bed to snuggle with me and told me "Mom, I saw this commercial for a thing I could make little cakes with. But it said it was for girls so I guess I can't have it." That statement kinda struck a cord with me. I knew right away he was talking about an EZ Bake Oven. I remember having one as a child as well but I guess (since I was a girl) it never dawned on me that it really should be for both boys and girls. There are thousands of very successful bakers and chefs out there that are male. So why wouldn't we want to encourage that behavior? So I told him to add it to his Birthday or Christmas list and we'll see if he gets one. You better believe Santa will be having his elves make one of these just for Caleb if he doesn't get one sooner.
I was happy to see that the oven itself is no longer pink. However, if you look at the accessories some if them still scream girl to me. Guess Santa will be picking him up a different apron as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boys can have whatever they want, just like girls too. Seriously I think it is nuts how things are so stereotyped these days.