Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Carving Die-Hard

(long story before the pics sorry). This has been a rotten way to start Halloween week at our house. I have been sick off and on for weeks but Saturday and Sunday it really hit me hard. I have been in bed more than I have been up for sure. I ended up at the Dr office on Monday. It's some sort of upper respiratory infection. They prescribed me some meds and sent me on my way. Thankfully Mike was able to work from home all that day. It helped tremendously. I had called in sick to work that day and let them know I would be out the next day as well.
Yesterday was a day from Hell. I was still feeling rotten and Mike had no way to stay home again since there's an audit going on in his office. Caleb woke up at 4 am dry-heaving and had a small fever before school. We gave him some Motrin and he felt better so we took him to school. Mike went to work. Zaric got a small case of diarrhea and was just absolutely miserable all day. He spent most of the day screaming and taking small naps. Caleb then came home with a fever again and took himself straight to his bed for a nap. I was pretty fried. It's hard enough to care for sick kids but to do it while you yourself are sick is something else. So we were banking on Mike being able to come home a little early. Not only was he NOT able to sneak out early but actually ended up coming home 2 hours late! By this time I had really had it. I hadn't been able to take any of my cough medicine because it contains Codeine which will put me to sleep so I was coughing up a storm and ended up making myself sick in the process and having to take some anti-nausea medicine the Dr prescribed instead. There was no way by then I was even thinking about dinner so I got online and ordered some pizzas to be delivered. We waited the normal 40 minutes or so for them to arrive I paid the delivery man and got the kids ready to eat just in time to open the first box and see that one of the pizza's was completely wrong! Luckily the other one was right so I started the kids eating and called up Pizza Hut. The man on the phone was pretty apologetic and said he'd get me out the right pizza right away. Well that meant at least another 40 minutes. It was after 5 by now (Mike was still at work) and it had been a very long day. When I called Caleb upstairs to have some dinner I could feel the heat coming off him and took his temperature again, It was over 103! I lost it and broke down into tears and began calling Mike over and over until he answered his work phone. By then he was finally able to come home an relieve me. He came home in time for the 2nd pizza delivery and we ate and I finally took my cough meds and went to lay down. He was so calm about everything, it really took a load off and when I came downstairs a while later for a glass of water, this is what I found. It made the day all better, so I had to snap some pics before I went back to bed.







He finished all 3 of the boys and got his gutted and started pretty well. Mine is still waiting and that's just fine by me. Here's the boys'. Caleb's is on the left. He's pretty proud of the design and came upstairs to tell me that he drew it on with a marker all by himself.

There's more to this story though (hence the Die-Hard title). This year we weren't even going to carve pumpkins. You see, we are doing something different this year and won't be home on Halloween night so I really felt like we had no reason to carve them if we weren't going to be here to light them. And leaving them on our sidewalk unlit that night is just asking for trouble. So I had called carving off, but Mike insisted. It is tradition after all. But now I am glad for his stubbornness and happy that he spent that time with the boys last night and that I got a break. Sometimes it's nice to have a Die-Hard around. Now he gets to finish his and work on mine tonight. :)

3 comments:

Michael Ouren said...

Awww, that was a cute story, I especially like the parts about me! Love ya baby!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie...I am soooo sorry you have had a rough week. I hope you all get feeling better soon. Jas has had a wicked cough too.

jfm said...

Cute pics and great pumpkins. Sorry you have been sick, hope you all feel better soon!