Saturday, May 01, 2010

Calendar It!

In an effort to try to consolidate some of the chaos that often takes over our kitchen, I have been in the market for a new dry erase type board. Something to write notes, appointments, the weekly menu, honey do lists, and the like. While out shopping last weekend we came across this at Roberts and since we had a 50% off coupon, I decided to give it a go. I bought the "unfinished" version so I could make it more my own. So here it is in it's naked version.

We still have the leftover paint from our kitchen re-paint we did in January. So I painted it the same grey as our trim.
I had Mike drill some holes for me to add a little ribbon flair and cuteness. I chose some green gingham ribbon to match the John Deere decoration motif I have going on.


And of course, added some of my own pictures and broke out the Cricut for some vinyl lettering. I was deep in thought on what to write on it and was asking and searching for suggestions, when Allison suggested "Organized Chaos" just like my blog. DUH! Why didn't I think of that? As I passed that idea around to Mike and others that I had been asking they all like it, and it so fits to what this is.

On the last bow I hung a plastic sleeve to put things such as Caleb's pictures he has hanging all over the kitchen, important papers that correspond to calendar items, grocery items, appointment cards and things I want readily available. And I like the idea of it, but not sure I am sold on the sleeve. I may look for something else to hang and serve this purpose or a verticle hanging sleeve. Or I may scrap it all together and have it just be a good idea that didn't pan out. Opinions/suggestions on this section are welcome.
So this new board will serve as:
1. Monthly calendar (still haven't given up the regular calendar but this is a step closer to one less thing hanging in that area)
2. Note space (always needed)
3. Picture displays (or they may turn into more note space, still deciding)
4. Weekly menu on the calendar days (whoo hoo !I can trash the other dry erase board that floats around from place to place.)
5. Consolidated space for numerous papers, cards, art work etc. ( I think my fridge is jealous to have all the papers off of it)
I'm still not sure it's completed. But overall I like it. Onto the next project. Pictures to come!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is super cute Becca...I happen to have the same one hanging in my kitchen too. I love how you embellished it with the vinyl.

Jennifer said...

SOOOO CUTE!!!! Love it!

Mindy said...

Love it, love it, love it! Not to mention that I need it! Great idea! Instead of the plastic sleeve you could do a clipboard that you decoupage with matching paper. I bought a stack of mini ones with good intentions of hanging them on my fridge. I haven't gotten it done yet, but maybe one day! :-)

nancy said...

That is way CUTE. I need to make one of those!!