Sunday, July 18, 2010

For the Love of Moosehorn

If there is at least one camping trip that even Mike likes every year it's when we go to Moosehorn Lake. This year we headed out on Friday afternoon and had booked it early enough that we got one of our favorite sites right on the lake. We had some mishaps along the way and while getting set up. But once things settled down and we were able to bask in the scenery, all was right with the world.
















I got to take a few minutes for me and go sit by the lake and read my book when another camper came over and told me a momma moose and baby had just shown up across the lake. When I headed to get the camera, I let the boys know and they came down to take a look.


And here they are across the lake from our campsite.


I decided to walk around the lake and get a little closer fully expecting them to be gone by the time I got there, but to my surprise they laid down in the grass and let me get up to about 50 yards away. I sat on a rock for about 30 minutes and just took picture after picture. She did stare at me a couple times just to let me know that she did know I was there but never got any more aggressive than that. It was awesome!




We had to run back down the canyon yesterday to get something and on our way back to camp we stopped on bald mountain and let the boys out to climb rocks and explore. This is Caleb when he got to the top of the first set of rocks, he proclaimed himself, "King of the Orphans. " LOL.







Zaric and Zaden were liking the rocks too. I kept referring to them as "Momma's Mountain Goats". They didn't mind.






And back at camp we had a good time just sitting by the lake and letting the boys throw in rocks and pine cones. They thought that was heaven.
















Mike had collected some firewood and spent some time chopping it with the axe. So under Daddy's supervision, the twins had to be big boys and try it out themselves with the hatchet. Little lumberjacks in the making. I love that Zaden thought it was such a big job he brought along his sippy cup :).






Now the bad part. We found out that Zaric has some bad reaction to mosquito bites. There are always tons there since it is right on the lake and we had sprayed them down with spray but he still managed to get several bites and his whole face started swelling up. When one of his eyes started looking like Quasimodo and looking like it would swell shut we decided since I had no children's Benedryl with us to pack up after dinner yesterday and head home one night early. We stopped when we got to Kamas and picked up some meds and gave him a good bath when we got home. The camera couldn't quite catch the swelling but you can see his right eye (the left side of pic) in the pic juts out on the side there.


It was disappointing for all of us to have to leave early but I am happy to report that the Benedryl worked and this morning he looks a lot better. I was starting to think that maybe we would fore go that trip next year to avoid him swelling up again, but after looking at these pictures, our love of the place is renewed and lesson learned. Next time, pack the Benedryl!
Anyone up for camping with us at Moosehorn next year?









No comments: