Monday, March 29, 2010

Fondant Failures


No, this is not even close to a cake we made, but I really wanted to. Luckily there are many people out there that have the touch for fondant. Mike and I have been slowly trying to master it in hopes of making the cake/s for the twins Bday this weekend. No such luck! Mike has tried to perfect his skillz twice now. Once with a Marshmallow recipe from my cousin's blog (Thanks Mindy) and once with the store bought fondant. I sat around voicing my opinions and ideas which he didn't listen to anyway just to watch it either be too sticky or crack all over or just be down right ugly once it was done. So Thursday night, I decided that I was going to show him how it was done and got another marshmallow recipe out that a friend showed me (Thanks Emily) and went to work. And you guessed it, I totally bombed it as well. We have followed the directions and I just don't think we have "the touch". Fondant just doesn't seem to be in the cards for us. I am throwing in the towel now. Mike is more of a die-hard and says he'll keep trying it here and there when we have time to play. But for now Harmons bakery will be seeing me for the party on Saturday unless you are skilled and have a lot of free time this week. If you have other recipes (rather than the marshmallow kind) or helpful hints and tricks, feel free to share so I can pass them on to Mike.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Once you get the hang of it, it is not that bad. Give me a call if you want to troubleshoot!!! You can do it. Keep going. I think the homemade stuff is a lot easier to work with than the store bought stuff. One tip-- use a clean (preferably new!!!) knee-high nylon, fill it up with powdered sugar and use that to keep dusting your counter and the fondant as you roll.

DaNell Rasmussen said...

I've tried fondant once. I got it to work, it just looked ugly. :P