Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kid-Free Weekend

Papa and Grandma Judi were nice enough to take the kids for the weekend and since they have been going stir crazy at home with no one else to play with and driving me crazy, it was a much needed break for all of us. Of course since Mike and I had the weekend free, we took full advantage of the extra chaos-free time. We started out by doing our grocery shopping Friday afternoon. We needed quite a bit so it took a long time and we kept commenting on how nice it was to not have the kids along and to actually be able to talk while shopping. Then we came home and got all of the yard work done. It was the first time this year I have been able to truly help, so that went faster than usual and was again so nice. After coming in from that, we went to work on adding some more color to our house. Entering phase 2 of interior paint renovation. So we picked out a red for one living room wall. I must admit that I was a little intimidated by it. But I absolutely love it (maybe even more than my purple kitchen, don't tell Mike). I keep joking with him that our house is going to be a rainbow by the time we are done adding color everywhere. We did the one wall then the wrap around section where the coat closet connects the living room to the kitchen. In true fashion I failed to take any before pictures. But just picture it, plain white wall with a flowery picture and sconces hanging. K got the before pic in your head? Behold: the after pic!



This is the view from the stairs so you can see how it connects to the kitchen around the corner. I was pretty worried how it would look at the places that the red and purple came together. But it's actually not too bad. (excuse the blue tape on the top section, we were still waiting for that piece to dry when I started taking pics)

Next up was the boys bathroom. For those of you that have never been to our house, 3 of the walls were painted kinda an ugly gray/tan color (a painting faux pas from our first year in this house). For those of you that have been here, you know exactly what I am talking about. We didn't have the money back then to redo it so we tried our best to minimize the ugly and stenciled puppy dog paw prints on the wall (thanks to Aunt Sue for that idea) with the dark blue color of the 4th wall to match the shower curtain/doggy theme. It worked well for a while but I was really sick of them. We started by trying to match the dark blue wall and trim (which we decided we both still liked, so had decided it would be staying) best we could with some swatches I had picked up. But as we were doing so we noticed that we liked the way some of the lighter blues looked against it so we picked our favorite and went with that. So here are the results. Again no before picture. I've really got to get better at that step.


You can see the new lighter color against the darker color here.


And here. We are so pleased with how it came out. I'm thinking it needs a new theme in there. I was thinking something pirate-y but Caleb tells me dinosaurs when I asked him about it last week so we'll have to see what we can agree on later.

And that was all on Friday afternoon/night! Can you believe it? We went to bed around midnight and got up Saturday morning and finished it up and did our touch ups. While waiting for it all to dry, we left to enjoy our fun part of our kid break. We drove to Provo and headed up that canyon. We made a stop at Bridal Veil Falls. I hadn't been there since I was little and Mike had never been so we walked along the walkway and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery as well and marveling at the waterfall when we approached. I am so glad we stopped. I think I will definitely take the boys back some day this summer to play in the natural water pool at the bottom of the falls. There were tons of kids there and loving it and I know mine would love it as well. Any takers on joining us? I snapped just a couple photos of the falls and kept wishing we had more time to walk further and hike to the top level and explore more.




After that we headed a couple more miles up the canyon to our next destination. Since we got there a little early we went for a quick exploring drive up past Vivian Park. So pretty. We found some sort of reception hall type place hidden up there in the mountains. Absolutely gorgeous. Makes me want to get married again and again just to use it. Then it was back to our stop. We met up with Allison and Jamie for Allison's birthday and went on a rafting adventure down the Provo river. We had never been rafting before so were excited to go and didn't know what to expect. It's a pretty mild river so it was more relaxing than adventurous really. However, I found that I really enjoyed just floating down the river and enjoying each others company as well as the company of our young tour guide. We got just a smidgen wet but it felt so good in the absolutely beautiful weather we finally received. We want to try it again sometime in kayaks and tubes (papa when are you taking the kids next? j/k). When we got back to our cars we took off and finished going up the canyon then across past Park City and back into the valley where Mike and I then stopped at The Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner. They were super fast there so we were in and out quickly. Then back home where we finished up touch ups and cleanup up the paint messes and then started the next adventure. I decided to make homemade doughnuts for the first time for Mike for Father's Day. The recipe I wanted to try required that it be refrigerated overnight so I made the dough and then we both got to lounge on the couches. The first time the couches had seen us all weekend. It was wonderful. I watched The Lovely Bones and Mike got to get caught up on some of his work that he needed to do this weekend. It was wonderfully relaxing. This morning we got up and rolled out the dough, left it to rise and cooked the doughnuts. I am in love. They turned out great as you can see in the pics. Of course Mike says they are just "ok". I think they are delicious and that since we don't really have any Father's Day traditions. I think maybe we just found one. Homemade doughnuts every year! How can you go wrong? Recipe found here.




Now it's time to get back to our regular chores and get ready to go meet Papa and get the boys back. I do miss them terribly today. I think 2 nights alone is just perfect and from our phone calls it sounds like they have been having a blast as well. Thanks again Papa and Grandma, we really appreciate these weekends more than you can imagine.

No comments: