Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Mother Bird

When Mike got home from work today he finally noticed the bird that made the nice nest in our tree. You could see it's little head poking out from the nest. He grabbed the camera to try to sneak some pics. The mother bird flew away when she saw him but didn't go far. Just went to the back yard and squawked and yelled at him as only a mother would :). But he did get to take a peek inside the nest and low and behold...eggs! Beautiful Robin eggs.


We left it be for a while then I snuck back out. Thank goodness for the zoom on the camera. I was able to stay pretty far back and still get a decent pic of her back in the nest.
I took my chances and got closer to the nest. She flew away squawking at me but lucky for me, she only went as far as the fence post and I got a great shot of her. Expand this pic for a better view.

How fun! We looked up the gestation time for Robins and it's 2 weeks. We have no idea when these eggs were officially laid over the last few days, but we will keep our eye on it and with any luck have some baby birds to show you all in a couple of weeks. We'll keep you posted.


No comments: