Thursday, April 09, 2009

Tie-Dye Eggs

Allison had pointed out this technique to me online and I thought it sounded like a lot of work. Then I saw it again in a magazine.....lazied down a bit for people like me. So this is my first try. Not perfect and will be trying again but still pretty freaking awesome!

Step One: Find some old silk ties. If your husband doesn't have any lying around, go to your local thrift store like I did and pick some up for cheap. Cut 5-6 inches off. I used the manufacturers label as a guide and cut just below it.

Step two: Roll up a raw egg in the cut off portion. I rolled toward the point.
Step three: I rubber banded the ends and put one around the middle. I would recommend taking the one off the middle as it left white spots on my eggs. So next time I will skip that one.

Step four: Place eggs in boiling water for 15 minutes. When done remove from water with slatted spoon and leave on plate or paper towels to cool.


Step five: When cool enough to touch fabric, unwrap and viola! The pattern is on the egg and you hard-boiled it at the same time.



Like I said they aren't perfect, but I'll take it for a first try. The one I tried with a floral pattern didn't work at all so I won't be trying that one again. I'll try more later and rumor has it you can use the same piece of the tie over and over a few times for a few eggs. What could be easier?

No comments: