Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In Time

If there's one thing Caleb taught us, it was patience. Caleb was born 7 weeks early and spent the first 2 weeks of his life in the NICU at the hospital. We were often frustrated when he didn't do the things he should be doing according to the "experts" and age timeline. Often having to remind ourselves that his chronological and gestational age were 2 very different things. It took him a while to catch up but he did and now there's no stopping him. I wanted to write this blog mainly for me to remind myself of the patience we learned with Caleb and the struggles we went through with him to help me with the twins.

Zaric and Zaden were 8 weeks early and spent 4 weeks in the NICU. There are several days when I feel like I am not trying hard enough with them and it takes me hours to convince myself that they will do things when they are ready to do things. I think back to Caleb and the anxiety lightens a little. The boys are almost 14 months old and still not walking. Most days I am ok with it and others I fret and worry. When we are around other children that seemed to excel and do things ahead of "schedule" or right on time it can get stressful and worrisome. I have found myself having to stop often lately and tell myself that "technically" they are only almost 12 months if you correct for the gestational age. That helps a little. Still as a mother you want them to do what everyone else is doing and you worry if something is wrong. At least I get to enjoy them being "babies" for longer since they still grow up too fast. I know that I'll be the first to jump up and down with excitement when they do decide to walk (and I'll let you all know) but I also know that I'll miss this crawling stage when it's over. So patience, Rebecca, patience.



2 comments:

Bert said...

Hang in there. Sam didn't start walking until 14 months - waited til he was good and ready. Bert

amelia said...

it's funny how kids develop so differently! i was a way early walker and it took FOREVER for my younger sister to do anything. my parents really thought she might be retarded, but she eventually started crawling and walking and she's one of the smartest, most athletic girl i know!