Saturday, November 01, 2008

Never a Dull Moment

The boy is a klutz. And I say that in the most loving Mom way as possible. Last night, he must have tripped and fell at least 6 times during Trick or Treating. He kept being to0 busy looking around and talking. Today we thought we would hang out at home and take down Halloween decorations and do whatever needs to be done. We decided that some yard work needed to be done since it was still wonderful weather outside and the neighborhood cleanup dumpsters showed up today. Caleb went outside with Dad and Zaden (who was watching in the bouncer). About 5 minutes after they had been out there I heard Caleb start crying, I figured he had fallen and probably just scraped a knee or something, so I didn't panic. He started crying for Mom and I could hear him getting closer to the house. When he walked through the back door all I could see was blood filling up his mouth and running down his face. CRAP!!! What now and how much is this going to cost us? I know not exactly the thought I should have in my head but I had just finished writing the check for what we owed from Zaden's Primary stay last month so it was in my head.
I picked him up and we rushed to the bathroom where we spent a few minutes rinsing out his mouth. There was soo much blood that I couldn't tell what had happened for sure, so it took a bit. When I finally got down to it. I opened his mouth and checked out his teeth. Apparently he did fall but decided to eat a rock on his way down. So his two front teeth were bent back and out of line from the others. I carried him downstairs and yelled for Dad to get in the house and help me. He came in and took a look and confirmed that I wasn't crazy and they were in fact out of line so I immediately grabbed the phone book and called his dentist office to get the emergency contact. I called and the lady on the phone kept asking how bad it was. How do I know? Last I checked I got a psychology degree and not a dental degree. But she said baby teeth were pretty resilient and that we should just be able to "pop" them back in place......with that I handed the phone to Dad.
Dad held him down, screaming like a stuffed pig....almost literally.... with the dental lady on the line pulling his teeth back into place. He said they never "popped" so they probably weren't too bad. But she suggested going in for xrays this week to double check it. Guess where I will be calling first thing Monday morning? The bad part is that one of his front teeth is already dead with a post in it and has fake coloring over it from a falling incident when he was about 2 1/2. So here we go again! I tried to get a couple pics of the damage but they didn't turn out too well.



This doesn't show how swollen his gums and cheek are. He took a nap after the Motrin kicked in and was drooling blood, hence the streak on the check. But when he woke up he said it wasn't hurting as bad and is suprisingly in a good mood. He is speaking with a lisp now though. I hope that goes away when the swelling goes down too.
Here's a funny story from something he just told me. Feel free to insert the appropriate slurs from the lisp, particularly on the s sounds. I have to admit I am a big AMW fan and I love it when we are home on Saturday nights to watch it. Well they were profiling a serial killer in Las Angeles and Caleb told me that must be a bad guy and I said yes son he is a very bad guy. He was so cute he sat down and started analyzing this "I bet he took all the cereal out of a cupboard, then when the people got up they didn't have any for breakfast..and that's why he's a cereal stealer!" That's right baby, keep living your sheltered life as long as possible. You don't need to know all of the evils in the world, just worry about your Lucky Charms. I Love you cute hurt boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The poor thing and poor mom and dad too. Seriously can't you guys catch a break. Oooooh, maybe I shouldn't say break too loud. I hope that he gets feeling better.