Saturday, September 06, 2008

Zoo-rific

Last weekend in the midst of the painting project we also realized that our annual zoo membership was about to expire at the end of September and thus decided that we would make at least one more trip while it wouldn't cost us anything. So here are some pics that we took. These first couple are of course Caleb playing on the playground. Next are the famous lion drinking fountains. I remember these being one of my favorite parts of the zoo when I was young. I thought I was pretty cool when I took a drink from the inside of the mouth. Caleb also liked it. I was glad these are one thing that stays constant while the rest of the zoo continually changes almost everytime we go. The last picture is one of me and Caleb on the new Conservation Carousel they built. Caleb insisted on riding the polar bear so we hurried through the gates to get to it first. I got on the warthog next to him and off we went. It was a quick couple hour trip but a nice little outing for our family and it was nice to actually be outside walking around and enjoying the cooler weather. I am sure we will be renewing our membership again so that we can continue to enjoy this as our kids grow older too. For those of you from Utah, do you know what happened to the coin machines that would make the wax animals all through the zoo? I miss those terribly each time I go. I always had to make a few while I was there and wish my kids were able to do the same. That was one of the best parts for sure. While change is necessary, it still stinks when you can't share your childhood favorites with your kids too.






1 comment:

Mindy said...

I LOVED the wax animals! I noticed they were gone too when we were there last. I am guessing too many kids got burned on the hot wax coming out of the machine. We should start a letter-writing campaign to see if they'll bring them back.