Friday, February 20, 2009

Listening Ears and Stop Signs

Caleb is on a roll again, making us laugh all the time. We are always talking to him about putting on his "listening ears" lately because he's the typical 5 year old doing his own thing. Well yesterday he told me that he would like Zaden sitting by him in the car on the way to preschool and then would like Zaric sitting by him for the ride home. I obliged and when he got in the car and we headed out from preschool. Our conversation went something like this:

"Mom you listened and put Zaric by me"
"Yes"
"You must have had on your listening ears"
"Yes I did. When are you going to get yours?"
"I don't know, is it going to hurt?"

Apparently he thought at some point in your life, your baby ears actually get removed and are replaces by "listening ears." I am thinking this was made because of the connection with us telling him he'll get a new adult tooth where his one front tooth is missing. So we then had a giggly conversation about what "putting on your listening ears" really means. I think he understands now, we'll see though.

So now that they days are finally getting a little longer (hooray) and the weather has been nice the last couple of days, Caleb and I went outside for a bit after dinner on Wednesday to let him run off some energy. He wanted to ride his old trike and his scooter and then run some. I sat and watched. Well he has this miniature stop sign that we got him for playing with last year. On Wednesday he got it out of the garage and ran it all the way to our corner where the real stop sign sits. He placed it right next to it and they were practically touching. He was watching cars and he cruised up and down the sidewalk on his scooter and then he ran to me and said, "Mom, all of the cars are stopping right there because they know my sign says STOP!" Ha! I think it helped a little that it's touching the real 7 foot tall sign so people are bound to stop anyway, but it's nice to know that his $7 plastic one does the trick too ;).


1 comment:

SCHADEY SAFARI said...

What a Cute Little Crossing Guard.