Tuesday, February 03, 2009

NO!

And he's off.....Zaric figured out the whole crawling thing over the weekend. And he just gets faster at it everyday. Now I am finding myself having to dig out the old repetitions in my brain of saying the word "no" over and over and teaching it to these guys. The faster he gets, the more things he gets into. Here a a couple things from the last couple of days (and it's not just him either):

Last night while we were preparing dinner I heard the clink clink of the dog food bowl being tipped over. I came over to assess the situation and found him with two handfuls of dogs food and in heaven. I took all the dog food out of his hands and cleaned it up telling him "no" all the while. I then put him in the high chair. About a minute later I noticed him chewing on something and sure enough he had snuck a piece of dog food in there that I didn't get away from him in time. I said "no" again and dug it out of his mouth. All the while he smiled and laughed at me. Already this morning I have had to tell him "no" at least 3 times while heading for the dog dishes and turn him around.

Last night while Mike was running the bath water, we kept losing Zaric. We would go set him near the bathroom and off he would go exploring every room. I would bring him back and as soon as I would set him down he'd be off again. I ended up undressing him while on the move and then coaxed him to crawl back to Dad naked to get in the tub.

Zaden isn't crawling yet but now that brother is on the move he's getting more interested and rolling faster to places and still scooting on his back. This morning as I was telling Zaric "no" about the dog food and reversing his direction over and over, I looked over and Zaden had rolled over to my laptop and was chewing on the cord. Yes the cord, plugged into the wall, with the computer on. A very "live" connection. So I ran over to him and again the word "no" just flew out of my mouth as I moved him away.

So right before preschool run I thought it was under control and they were all merrily playing on the floor when I heard this clunk clunk clunk.......SCREAM! Zaric had taken his first spill down the stairs that lead to the family room. There are only about 5 them. Well I had put a board/gate across them so this didn't happen and somehow (I have a 5 year old guess) it got moved. So after I ran and picked him up and decided he was ok, I asked Caleb how it had gotten moved......he searched his head for answers then came up with "it fell. " Of course he was the only one who had been near it playing and I asked why he didn't pick it back up and I got the blank stare and an "I don't know". So me and him had to have another talk about not moving that gate while the babies are playing. So not really a "no" but still a repetitive talking to about the same thing. So it felt like a "no". Zaric seems fine and still happy so I think we'll be lucky this time and probably just a bruise or 2. We are going to the Dr. this afternoon to get his ears checked anyway so I might have him take a quick look for my own piece of mind that he's ok.

Since I already know the sign for "no" maybe I will just start using my hands and give my voice a rest for now. I have a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Oh no! It is all over for you.