Thursday, January 08, 2009

End to End-Bargain Day

Yesterday was a whole lot of driving. I started out by heading to one end of the valley. Caleb had left his beloved Leapster at our friends house in Lehi over the weekend, so we had to go get that. Since we were heading that way, she and I decided to take a small trip down to the Provo Craft outlet in Lindon. I had never been there before. It was much smaller than I thought and not sure I'll make that drive often, but I did find some good deals on some scrapbook stuff and only spent a whopping $7. There was a Kid 2 Kid right next door too so I decided to go in and have a look. I found the cutest pair of jammies for the babies. They look practically new and I couldn't ignore the $3 price tag. Score!!!!! Then it was back to home for a while.

I had decided that I was going to get the babies a new toy box for their first birthday coming up in April and had started looking around. I was going to get them one just like Caleb's that was big and plastic. We love his. Problem is, seems like the prices of those have soared. The cheapest I could find was $65. Well I was just going to bite the bullet and pay it, then it dawned on me yesterday morning to check our local KSL classified ads online. And low and behold, I found this gem.

This thing is huge. It's 5x3x2! And it's solid wood. I sent the link to Mike who actually liked it. Problem was, it resided in Ogden! So that meant another hour drive north of us to pick it up. But Mike thought it would be worth it if it were in good shape. So I contacted the owner and made arrangements to go pick it up. We walked into her house and said "whoa, that is huge" I guess it's hard to picture just by hearing the dimensions. It has a few dings and scuffs and the normal wear and tear from her 5 year old, so we will eventually be giving it a new coat of paint. Sadly they are moving away to graduate school and have to move into a tiny appt which this won't fit in. So they were reluctantly selling off a bunch of stuff including this. Sad for them, bonus for me!
The next issue was that it was too big to fit in the back of the Durango correctly. So we had to make it to the local grocery store to buy some bungee cords to tie down the hatch. We took care of that but then because the hatch was ajar, the dome lights were on and I was a nervous wreck about it falling out the whole hour long ride home. But it made it perfectly fine.
So we got it in the house and put just a couple toys inside. I will be cleaning it up good today then putting the rest in there. I can't believe how much bigger it is than Caleb's and wooden for the lovely price tag of $40. Who could resist? The kitty even likes it and is so glad that we brought her home a new perch to lounge on. So I guess it's dual purpose.

So a great day despite the 4 hours of driving with the boys from one end of the valley to the other (literally). All of that and I spent $50 the entire day, I'll take it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME deals!!! I love bargain hunting. The other day I walked into Gymboree and scored some legging pants for 0.99 a pair which usually run $14.50 cause their Gymboree. Our latest bargain hunt is for a hiking backpack that is a carrier for Hailee. We will see how that goes.

Becca said...

I love a good bargain! I have a backpack you could borrow if you want to. Would come in handy for that hike to Mt, Timanogos!

Sarah W said...

Bargain shopper girl!! That sounds like a good super hero name! Just a reminder...Matthew works in Layton, so call next time and he can pick up stuff like that for you!!! What a great day you had! Don't you love KSL? It seriously rocks!