Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tooth Fairy - Too Soon


Today Caleb had his regularly scheduled dental cleaning and check up. Well turns out that the tumble he took back in November (see Never A Dull Moment) is coming back to bite us. I had taken him in after the ordeal and they did xrays but thought that it looked fine at the time but warned that it could get worse easily. So when we went in today they took another xray of it and sure enough the same tooth he hurt when he was 2 and then re-hurt during this incident is now infected.


Well since he is 5 already there is really no reason to fix it again given it will just fall out in a year or so. They gave us antibiotics to help clear up the infection but said that the chances of it staying away were probably at most 3 months. So we are opting for what I feared....a tooth extraction. It's scheduled for next Thursday afternoon. I am pretty sad about my son having to be toothless for longer than the average kid, but am relieved that (at least for now) it's only one of the four he hurt in the latest collision.


He was talking on the phone to Uncle Ryan tonight and was telling him that they were going to pull his tooth and Ryan had to mention that he should put it under his pillow and the Tooth Fairy would bring him a dollar. I hadn't even thought of that yet. Oh man, I am so not ready. I don't know what I want to do. I'm always looking at cute tooth pillows or little boxes to put them in but have never purchased one and now my mind is blank at where to even get one. If anyone knows, please let me know. I am kinda freaking out a little. I hate being unprepared and thought I would have more time to figure this out. I am sure I can find one online somewhere but would rather buy local and avoid shipping costs. I am not sure if I should thank Ryan for reminding me or choke him for telling Caleb that. Guess we'll see how I feel about that next Thursday. ;)


On a more positive note, Mike and I both thought that Caleb was going to freak when we told him (in 5 year old terms) what the dentist said so we teamed up on him while he was eating dinner tonight. He almost did at first until we explained that all his teeth would fall out anyway and told him to remember his friend in his preschool class who also has no front teeth. At that he started laughing and telling us how silly he would look without a tooth and now seems totally ok with it. We are hoping since he is older we will get through this fix with no sedation, since that was a huge and expensive ordeal last time. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Let me check my patterns....I may be able to whip up something in the next couple of days =)

Becca said...

That would be awesome!

Laurel said...

I thought I saw a cute pillow at kid-to-kid awhile ago (the wvc location)...I'd recommend calling them first, though! Good luck w/ the tooth extraction :(