Friday, January 16, 2009

RSO Consulting- At Your Service

No S is not officially my middle initial, but any of you that previously worked with me would know that's what I was referred to by my former boss (Craig). Even though I told him my middle name did actually start with a D several times, he would just shake his head and say "So, RSO....etc etc". It just was RSO and that stuck. I miss hearing it all the time and look forward to lunch dates and chatting with him. Even though we both are no longer at Westminster, we keep in touch and it's so nice to still be R.S.O. sometimes.

So anyway (sorry about the side-note there), today I had my first official "gig" as a Financial Aid Consultant. I had been contacted by the Myotherapy College about a full time position they were hiring for a couple months ago but I wasn't really interested in going back to full time. I passed the info along to my former boss and he went to talk with them as well, but the job wasn't for him either for various reasons. One of them being that they really need some help after a not-so-savy Financial Aid person left in December. Well anyway, I passed along my thanks for thinking of me and thought I had heard the last from them until this week when I received another email from the college director asking me to come in on a consulting basis to train the new person they did hire on some FA software and whatnot. Turns out, they have had my name thrown at them from several bank reps that I had worked with formerly and said they had heard nothing but praises thrown my way (huh, who knew?). I decided that 1. it would be a nice change 2. it would be a little extra money and we could really use some and 3. if I didn't like it, I could always say no and know better for any future contacts. So I said sure and went for it.


So I was scheduled to work from 9-1 there today. Turned out that because they are kinda at a quiet time in their quarter right now and because they are still getting some of the software set up and things, there was really only about 2 hours worth of stuff to do. I was pretty apprehensive going in since I really hadn't done or even kept up with any FA stuff since I left in August. Turned out to be just fine though. As soon as I saw those screens, I was right back at ease and found I really hadn't forgotten that much. It fit like a glove and I almost expected to hear an RSO being yelled from the hallway by Craig (see there was a reason for the story). We did what needed to be done and she asked that I come back at least one day next week. So I will be going in on Tuesday afternoon to see what we can do that day.

So, maybe this will become a more common thing for some schools around here and maybe it won't. I don't know where it will take me, but RSO Consulting- I kinda like the sound of that. Now I just gotta come up with a contract to make myself all professional-like.

1 comment:

Sarah W said...

I'm so glad it went so well! Good for you! As much as we love our kids, it's nice to remember that we are still people and what do you know....smart!